ICCF Computer Lab Basics
When you first come it, the monitor should show a red banner reading
Novell Netware. If something else is on the screen ( for example,
a prompt reading F:\>, type login and you will be returned to
the correct screen.
How to log
This is the first step in using any computer program in this
- At the first prompt, enter your login name
- At the password prompt, enter your password
- At the prompt reading F:\ >, type win - this will
open Microsoft Windows; wait a few seconds while the programs load
At this point, you can boot up MS Word, the wordprocessing program,
or Netscape, to access the Internet. Because there are two different
operating systems in this facility (the PCs we are using operate on DOS;
our e-mail accounts are on the UNIX system), an additional step is required
to use e-mail (see below).
to access Pine and your e-mail account
- Click the Host Presenter icon
- Again enter your login and password - this will connect
you to the UNIX system.
- There may be a slight delay before the next prompt; at that time, type
pine - this will connect you to the Pine, mail system.
- Type M. This will take you to the main menu.
- Type Q (for quit); at the prompt reading Really quit pine?,
type y. At this point, you may see additional prompts asking you
if you want to expunge deleted messages from your inbox. If you’ve
read them and saved them, or simply want to trash them, type y here
too. This will keep your inbox from getting too crowded.
- Pull down the file menu and select exit . At the prompt asking
you Close session QAL?, type y; this will return you to the
Windows main menu.
to exit Windows and logout
Return to Index
- Pull down the file menu and select exit Windows
- At the prompt asking if you really want to end your session, hit return
- At the prompt F:\>, type logout